Thursday, June 16, 2011

Traveling with Honor Flight

I began working with Inland Northwest Honor Flight, in March of 2010. The goal was to provide photography services to WWII Veterans and their families as each WWII Veteran made the Honor Flight to the war memorials in Washington DC. What I wanted to do was to insure that each day of the three day marathon was captured digitally and then made into a video which was presented to each Veteran and their family members.

This month I made the three day trip with 52 Veterans and their Guardians, capturing hundreds of digital images of the complete experience. This was not exactly a typical Spokane Night Scenes photo shoot, but it was one of the best Honor Flight experiences I have had since I began shooting each HF.

Probably my favorite experience on the Honor Flight this month was the changing of the guard at Arlington Memorial, at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. A ceremony I stood and watched when I was a young child, with my brothers and parents. The 2011 version of this ceremony is exactly the same as I remembered it in my youth, but it is certainly much more meaningful now.

Some of the images of the June Honor Flight from GEG to BWI are included in an archive located at Smug Mug, which archives each Honor Flight’s imagery over the past year and a half.

http://inwhonorflight.smugmug.com/

No comments: